Saturday 6 June 2009

Goblin Market

I've just finished my latest pattern and wanted to share it with you all. This is Goblin Market, is a reticule with a Victorian feel. It features a richly textured leaves and berries border, the body of the bag has a shape loosely inspired by pomegranates and poppy capsules and uses several distinct pattern stitches for a fast, interesting knit.

The name comes from the poem ‘Goblin Market’ by Christina Rosetti:

MORNING and evening
Maids heard the goblins cry:
“Come buy our orchard fruits,
Come buy, come buy”

We must not look at goblin men,
We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots?

What particularly pleases me about it is that it only uses approximately 20g or so of a sock weight yarn, which is pretty much exactly the amount I find I have over after sock projects, so for me its a great stash buster and one that I think will make great gifts later in the year. Like all bags though, it should work well on pretty much any yarn as long as you choose needles that will give a pleasingly firm fabric.
If you fancy trying it for yourself, its available as a Ravelry download priced just $3

goblinmarket

1 comment:

Mildred said...

I saw your pattern over at Ravelry.

I don't know if you had heard, but there's a podcast novel called "Goblin Market" by by Jennifer Hudock that uses the same verse.

http://jenniferhudock.com/goblin-market/